Spencer, Janae and Kate

Spencer, Janae and Kate
Please pray for us as we serve in Macedonia

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dumpsters


Our City: Prilep

There is a grocery store really close to our house. We actually live kind of behind it so when going to the store, we walk the full length behind and then to the side to get to the front doors. We also pass the store's dumpsters, which often harbor several stray cats and a skinny dog. One day, as I was walking past the dumpsters, a cat jumped out and scared the living daylights out of me!!! I had to laugh, thinking I will walk a further circumvent around next time!

Just a few days ago I was making the familiar journey to the store to buy oatmeal for some cookies. In taking my usual notice of the dumpsters, I saw no cats, no dog. But this time I saw two older Gypsy women. One had a bag full of tomatoes (it was market day) and the other woman was searching through the garbage. I was immediately struck to the core. I was making cookies-I went to the store to find the ingredients I needed. These women were also hungry. The dumpster was their store.

I was reminded of what Jesus said to His disciples in John 6:35: "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." My Jesus is my daily bread. He is the One who gives life. It it God who satisfies man's ever aching desire for something more.

Please remember the Gypsy people of Prilep. They are the poor, outcast, and beggars. And they are looking for Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment