Spencer, Janae and Kate

Spencer, Janae and Kate
Please pray for us as we serve in Macedonia

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Our New House


Here is where we live in Prilep. We are just a block away from the city centre, where the majority of the restaurants and shops are located. Monday I went with Amy to the grocery story to locate familiar items as most labels are in Macedonian. Jeff and Spencer went to the meat market to get meat for a few days. Amy then took me to a boutique to buy some clothes; the owner's name was Lydia, and she imports most of her inventory from Greece and Turkey. She did show me a purple shirt, but I bought two others. I wondered if she was related to Lydia in Paul's day, the seller of purple from Turkey. I told her I'd come again to buy from her.
We went to English classes last night and met a whole bunch of people. We look forward to getting involved with teaching as soon as our Macedonian classes are over. Irena is our Macedonian teacher, and Kristina is Kate's sitter for now. Irena is a great English speaker, and Kristina is at an intermediate level. I asked Kristina to speak Macedonian to Kate so she'll learn too!
We had a team celebration lunch today at a local Thai restaurant-funny that it is the first time I have eaten Thai food. I was able to meet the other team members from all over Macedonia...12 in all. We had a great time!
We'll continue our language learning for 3-4 months and will gradually get involved and perhaps take over some responsibilities for our teammates who are going state-side this summer.
Please continue to remember us as we learn and practice, and en route meet new friends. We must learn the language well before we can serve well.

No comments:

Post a Comment